Requirements: Positive attitude, interest in physical and mental labor, enjoyment of the outdoors and camping, willingness to learn and to participate in all aspects of ranch life and food production in a remote location with no cell phone service and limited trips to town (approx. 1 / wk). Must be in relatively good physical condition and capable of walking several miles. No experience required.
Dates: Flexible, primarily from April 15 – October 15
Minimum commitment: 20 hr. / wk. for 1 month
Location: Lohof Beef Ranch, near Otter, MT, approximately 60 miles NE of Sheridan, WY. http://goo.gl/maps/urJ7B
Compensation: Unpaid, profit sharing opportunity for long-term intern (1 yr. +).
RUSTIC cabin + meals provided. Access to kitchen + bath. Pasture for 1 horse possible. Adjacent access to Custer National Forest.
Duties may include:
- Moving/building fence
- Herding cattle, sheep, or goats through pasture rotations, primarily horseback if equine interested
- Milking goats
- Assisting with dryland haying and branding
- Packing minerals to livestock
- Checking livestock water and fence
- Building water lines and repairing springs
- Selling beef, burgers, and other products at the Sheridan Farmers’ Market
- Cooking for family meals, branding, and shipping
- Marketing and researching production ideas
- Designing profit sharing opportunities such as greenhouse production, mobile chicken unit, horse-drawn wagon rides, etc.
- Assisting with taking animals to slaughter and delivering meat
- Attending meetings, conferences, or field sessions on soil health, ranching, etc.
We also offer you the opportunity to “Ranch for a Day” and tag along while we work. To schedule a visit or submit a cover letter, resume, and references contact us at:
Patrick and Christy Lohof
LOHOF Grass-Finished MEATS
64 Boyce Rd.
Otter, MT 59062